Sunday, October 12, 2014

An Amazon update

Dearest of readers,

The headache that is Amazon has improved slightly, allowing my much neglected books on that site a desperately needed update, but it still lingers and is unlikely to abate for some time.  Up until recently I had to reformat everything to publish on Amazon, but now I can use the same word document I use for smashwords for amazon as well, thus saving much time and effort for a site where I sell 2 books annually.  So the updating I did this spring can now be applied to my poor amazon dependents as well, thus improving (vastly, I hope) the editing in those editions.  I am still unable to price books at less that $2.99 on Amazon so if a book is free elsewhere and has a price on Amazon, it is not because I wish it to be so but a requirement of the site.  If I go KDP select, I can forget about some of these headaches but then I cannot publish anywhere else, which is just silly!  So I must play by their rules (no matter how annoying) and be grateful they allow me to publish at all.  I will be getting my other books up (except the foibles, as I will not charge $2.99 for a 10,000 word story!) over the next few weeks.  I put them on Amazon because, well, they are Amazon, and I'd like the world to be slightly aware of their existence, besides for that, I have very little to say in favor of their treatment of rebellious authors who refuse to go KDP exclusive.  I apologize for the discrepancies in price and the lag in revising, but Amazon is not a congenial master.  Definitely shop around for the best deals in ebooks and if you are an aspiring author, think twice about solely publishing with Amazon!


No comments:

Post a Comment