Friday, November 7, 2014

More questions you didn't ask (#2)

Your newest book, "Over the Hills and Far Away," due out November 15th, is not classified as 'christian fantasy,' but merely as a collection of fairy tales.  Why no 'warning' label?  Have you given up on the genre?  Is this book safe for unwary readers?

An excellent question, I'm pleased to have proposed it…

As C.S. Lewis quipped in Surprised by Joy,  "a young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading."  It was George MacDonald that began the ruin of this particular atheist, who later became one of the greatest and most beloved Christian writers and thinkers of all time.     I am forced to agree with Lewis, that one can never be too careful in what one reads, if one does not want one's mind to be opened to the possibility of greater things.

I cannot help but spill my worldview into my writings, it is as innate to me as breathing.  There is undoubtedly an undertone of it in everything I write, but I can control the overall quantity that seeps in. While some of my works are overtly within the 'christian fantasy' genre, and are labeled as such, this latest collection of stories is not 'overtly' christian, at least in that I do not incorporate the various themes and imagery common to my 'christian' works.  There is no disguising the joy, the wonder, the hope, the suffering, sorrow, and sacrifice, that underlies this particular worldview, especially in writing stories such as these; in fact, they are the very theme of the book and underlie all great fairy stories.  For 'the greatest story ever told,' is the 'greatest fairy tale of all' and the best part is that it is true!  My hope is that this book will reach those who love fairy tales but are leery of anything labeled 'christian.'  I hope it will stir up thoughts and feelings too easily ignored, buried, or stupefied in our modern world, that it will waken that childlike wonder vital to faith and bring the reader face to face with the most important questions in the world and beyond it.

It really is a charming little book and I'm excited for its release, you can even see my mortifying attempts at poetry and feel better about your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment